Sunday, March 28, 2010

An evening with Soul

After our quick introduction to Soul in Plaza-Midwood, a few weeks ago, the Mrs. and I decided we needed to do a full investigation of the menu. So Friday night with little else to do and a grumble in my belly we gave a call to the Millers. Mr.Miller is the guitarist for the band I am in, Broken Napoleons if you are interested, and he and his wife live in the neighborhood and always make for good company. Luckily they were milling their food options at the same time so we decided to consolidate efforts and give Soul a working over.
When Soul first opened we feared it would be a hipper than thou bore fest that should be avoided at all costs. I was so pleasantly surprised to find out it was totally laid back and very welcoming. The interior is quite small with a bar a few tables and a couple of small "living room" seating areas as well as a DJ booth. We grabbed a couch and a couple of chairs and settled in for the evening. Joe and I recapped and critiqued an open mic night performance we had done earlier in the week. We placed drink orders and surveyed the menu. A couple of quick notes, one, they have no beer on tap but do have a decent bottle selection, two, do not order well drinks they appear to be watered down so pony up for the top shelf stuff. With that said our drinks came and we were introduced to the specials. First, was a corn and zucchini fritter with aioli and then a shrimp something or other. We opted for the fritters and an order of veal short ribs in hoisin-sesame sauce. The Millers got a ham plate and salmon-kopita which for those keeping score is exactly what is sounds and looks like. So I should mention here that Soul is a Tapas restaurant with small plates some larger plated and paninis. I really love Tapas places when the service understands the concept. Too many times the staff wants you to throw down one order and get out. I was very happy to find that, at Soul, we were made to feel comfortable in ordering however we wanted. When we are enjoying an evening with friends we like to linger.
And the first round shows up. One problem with the "living room" area was that the table was a wee small and we like to eat, so it took some Tetris like action to get everything situated on the table, but we managed. The fritters were fantastic, a little hot when I took my first bite, but so good. They were just crisp on the outside and perfectly done inside. The short ribs just fell off the bone and melted in your mouth. The sauce may have been a bit overpowering but I am nit picking. The ham plate looked nice. I did nab a taste of prosciutto which was soft and buttery. I was told the salmon-kopita was good but how do you even compare that to anything, an A for originality if nothing else.
The next round brought a Steak and egg panini and an order of Chimichurri beef skewers for us and after seeing ours the Millers decided to get an order of fritters with some chorizo. The steak and eggs was a skirt steak topped with greens and a fried egg. I am working on fried eggs so this was a good test. It was very tasty with the steak really shinning, not even a hint of chewiness. The Chimichurri skewers, however, were in my mind, miles ahead. The beef was perfectly cooked and seasoned with extra sauce on the side to add as you wished. The Millers were not disappointed by ordering the fritters, and the chorizo was good but not excellent. It was a little on the tough side but not to the point of making it unpleasant.
More? Yes, please. Next up, an order of bone marrow for the Mrs. and I and a bbq-cubanini with more fritters for the Millers. How could I not order the bone marrow. Sure, its like eating an animals soul but it is a very tasty soul. We were warned that it takes some time to roast the bones which i was aware of and had no qualms with waiting and having another drink. While we waited we got reports from the Millers on their orders. The fritters were again perfect and the cubanini was very tasty. I think I'll have to try that on our next visit. And then it arrived. Three, three inch tall tubes of roasted goodness with toast and red-onion relish on the side. While it was not the best marrow I have had, it was awfully good. Especially amazing for the time it took to get it on the table. It could have used a little salt but again I am nit picking.
Last but not least was a cupcake the size of a small woodland creature. I am usually so disappointed when we order cupcakes, they are often small and limp, sometimes bland as well. Not so at Soul. We ordered the seasonal cupcake which was lemon cake filled with lemon curd and topped with a blueberry cream cheese frosting. It was big and it was delicious, I feel that the cupcake had been redeemed.
My other problem with tapas is the shock at the end of the evening when you get your bill. When you say to yourself "but I'm still kind of hungry and it was how much". But tonight, though it was not inexpensive, I was satisfied and we did manage to milk two and a half hours out of the experience. All the while not feeling rushed or pressured by out waitress. For that I say "Thank you"

Soul Gastrolounge -Located at 1500 - B Central Ave. in Plaza-Midwood - Website

No comments:

Post a Comment