Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Northern Lights in the Southern Hemisphere

And now a break from our regularly scheduled programming.

I have been working on a new cocktail and thought I would share. I am calling it the Northern Lights in the Southern Hemisphere. I started with the name and worked it out from there. It started as a genever  and rum drink until my friend Mr. Mustache pointed out that rum really wasn't from the southern hemisphere, Nerts!, to use his expression. So I started to consider my options and moved to pisco, from Peru. This brought me to thinking about the time The Mrs. and I went to the Columbia Room (my cocktail nerd friends just clenched their fists in a jealous rage) but Derek Brown made us a Veiux Carre using genever in place of the rye. It was fabulous.

So as a play on that I have my first real try at it. Please forgive the half empty glass in the photo, I had to decide if it was good enough to share. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free. I believe next time I will try Carpano Antica in place of the Maurin quina, although I like the cherry notes.

Northern Lights in the Southern Hemisphere

1oz Bols Genever (Smoke Glass)
1oz Pisco (I used Demonio de Los Andes)
1oz Maurin
1/2 tsp Allspice Dram
2 light dashes Aromatic Bitters
2 light dashes Peychad's Bitters
2 heavy dashed Regan's Orange Bitters

Shake with Ice

Garnish with cherry (Homemade Maraschino)




1 comment:

  1. The Carpano is definitely a better choice. Now a very solid drink.

    ReplyDelete