Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cellaring, not always a good idea.

After a long week at work sometimes you just want to curl up with a nice beer and wash the world away. This was my plan last night. I was, however, foiled by the beer itself. I got home wanting something special, but not too special. I went to the cave and found a lovely bottle of Avery Samael from 2007. I have seen reviews that tis may not be the best cellaring beer but figured I had purchased mine a mere 3 mo. ago. Surely it would be fine. It was not fine and don't call me Shirley. It tasted like an oak flavored lollypop. There was no complexity left just sugar and oak and then some more oak with a little sugar on top. Lesson learned; drink the Samael.
With all that said; my night could not be ruined. Snow was falling, we dined with friends and to top it all off we went and saw The Slackers and danced the night away.
Today we are snowed in, such as that is in the South. and I am resting on the couch with a lovely glass of Warre's Warrior. Freshly pored it is a gorgeous deep purple. The nose is slightly hot with a great grape and current finish and a hint of tobacco. The taste is also a little spicy with huge plum and grape; slight blackberry on the back of the tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment