Friday, May 7, 2010

Chaos, what else is new.

I will start last Wed. when we had plans with Mr. and Mrs. Whiskey for dinner and a show. After contemplating our choices, and realizing there is nothing near Actors Theater, we decided to try Bistro Le Bon. This is a new restaurant in Plaza-Midwood occupying the corner of a large strip mall that also holds a Dollar General. We were meeting after work and we were trying to minimize our parking so I decided to walk. It was glorious out and well worth the effort. It also gave me the chance to stop by Lunchbox records and do some used CD shopping. I picked up the latest Slackers and an old Engine Down record. Upon my arrival to the restaurant I was greeted with the fact that they did not yet have their ABC licence but I was more than welcome to run over to the Common Market and bring in my alcohol of choice. As this sunk in the Mrs. arrived and since the Whiskeys were stuck on the other side of a train we bolted over and picked up a nice Spanish red blend. When we got back our companions were seated and perusing the menu. It is a very eclectic menu, with everything from Swedish meatballs to Shrimp Stuffed Squid. Our server was very chipper and personable, not the most professional I've encountered, but personality goes a long way; and if you can interject into a conversation about Christian Hosoi that also makes up for some lacking. We started with the fried Haloumi over brioche with figs and port reduction; it was very tasty. The Whiskeys had the appetizer of the day, which was a salmon carpaccio. It looked tasty enough but not my thing. I am trying to eat fish but that was above my comfort level at this time. The Mrs. and Mr. Whiskey had the Swedish meatballs for their entree. It was very good with supple meatballs in a light cream sauce with no hint of, shall we say, gloppiness. Counter to my usual dining habits I decided on the Veggie sandwich as did Mrs. Whiskey. I am so glad I did. It was an open face sandwich of perfectly cooked veggies piled on top of homemade cranberry-walnut bread. At that point we realized we were running a little late for our next engagement and made a b-line for ATC.
At ATC we saw a new play called End Days. Its a play about religion and family in a post 9/11 world. Its funny and touching, and a little cliche at times. But, all in all, a nice evening was had.
The next couple of days involve the golf tournament, and an organizational meeting for Historic Charlotte's Artevation. After which we joined our neighbors for a meal at Foskoskies where I had heaven on a plate. It was chicken fried chicken over stone ground grits smothered in their sausage gravy(see earlier post). I almost cried. As we were leaving I convinced Walter to give me a shirt to wear at our next show, which happened to be Saturday in Plaza-Midwood for Maynia.
Maynia is a big event that P-M puts on every year in Midwood park, where everyone comes out and sets up, picnic style, to get loaded and watch local bands. We played next to last and were the beneficiaries of beautiful weather and free flowing alcohol. The crowd seemed to enjoy themselves and I think we made some new fans, but most important, The Whiskeys brought our number one fan, Cricket. After Maynia a large contingent of people headed to our neighbors for the now famous, Meatfest. This is where they clean out their freezer and throw it all on the grill. This is, of coarse, all washed down with a healthy (or unhealthy) amount of beer and wine. As Meatfest wound down we realized we had one more stop on the crazy train. Did I mention Saturday started with a trip to the market and teaching a class on growing tomatoes in five gallon buckets. So we headed over to Green rice gallery to celebrate the wedding of some neighborhood friends and catch up on the gossip. I still had my Mohawk up from playing so everyone wanted to play with it.
And on the seventh day I rested.

No comments:

Post a Comment