Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Travel day

We woke up this morning and took our usual breakfast. Then we headed down to the Jordaan neighborhood. It is a cute little area with streets and canals that are quite a bit narrower than the rest of the city. It was a beautiful morning which made for a nice walk. We were hoping to do lunch at the Eagles Nest, the place recommended buy the guys at WF, but they were not open yet. So we found a nice little place around the corner and had a couple of drinks and I had a Gouda sandwich and The Mrs. had the Thai chicken soup. My beer was a Wieckse Witte, it had a nice crisp bit with a very light carbonation. Following that we finished packing and headed for the train. The Mrs. was concerned that our tickets consisted of nothing more than two 3-d barcodes I had stored on my phone but when the time came it worked like a champ. So we arrived in Brussels without incident. Unfortunately my first experience with the locals was trying to use the rest room which was guarded by a motley assortment of drunk homeless or semi-homeless men and women who needed 50c to let me in. They were less than friendly about it. SO we moved on and got to our hotel. The streets here are a jumble of cobblestone footpaths all crossing in an out of each other. There is no grid or wagon wheel or design plan of any sort. Luckily, The Mrs. seems to have spidey sense here so we found everything fairly well. Once checked in we turned our attention to dinner. I left the Mrs. in charge and she led us to Du Vaudeville. It was an upscale cafe inside the queens gallery. It was a magnificent place for a meal. I started with a Tripel Karmeliet which had a heavy silky mouth feel and big caramel-ly round taste. My meal was a beef Carbonnade cooked in DuPont Brown "Grand Cru". Think of the best beef stew you've ever had and then times that by a thousand. The Mrs. went for the Sausage and Stoemp. Stoemp is potatoes mashed with the fresh vegetable of the season. We were not sure what it was, maybe green beans. We moved on to take in this stunning city stumbling upon one tourist site after another. The Grand Palace, Mannekin Pis and the place is just so picturesque. Later The Mrs. unbeknown to me led us, through very tight streets full of tourists and restaurant hawkers to Delirium so I could have a drink. One drink, we will be back, so I had a Forestine Mysteria. It was appley and not the best thing we've had thus far. Also, it was incredibly heavy. The Mrs. tried to play along and let me order her a Floris Witte. She got half way in and I finished the rest. Then back to the hotel for some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment