Saturday, August 7, 2010

Updates and Local Yum

Post scrip to the Panamanian Schooner - replace the bitters with 1/2 oz. of Cynar. Way better.

I also found that Malta makes a great marinade for Rib-eyes when split with Worcestershire sauce 50/50.

This week saw some interesting additions to the local food choices. My favorite being Underwood Farms now offering Veal in the forms of ground and cutlet. And before you squeamish kill joys start on me about veal, this is not caged and mistreated, and anyhow baby cows are delicious. Anyway, I prepared a full farm to fork dinner this week around the veal. Sides were some roasted potatoes and blanched rattlesnake beans. But the Veal was lovingly coated with a cornmeal batter lightly fried and topped with a ragu of tomatoes, onion and eggplant. It was tender and light and so good.

Thursday was a night on the town with The Whisk(e)ys. Drinking, what else, whiskey, well bourbon anyway. We met them at Andrew Blairs for a Makers Mark event. Makers is rolling out a new bourbon called "46". It is the original Makers Mark that is then re barreled with toasted french oak staves suspended in the barrel. It is a much spicier bourbon with what I found to have a cherry note. It was ok. I'm sure Mr. Whisk(e)y will do a full round up of th event so I will not belabor the point. I will however give major props for the food. It was so good. There was a creamy Mac and cheese and bean dip as well as pulled pork sandwiches. The best thing was the fatty brisket cooked in the bourbon.

And last but not least, we went out to the Yorkmont market this morning and picked up some Pineapple Tomatillos from Rosemary Pete. They are small like grapes and very tasty. Not sure what we are going to do with them yet but I'm sure it will be good. As I write I am in the process of making pickled okra. I'll give an update on that when they're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment